Sunday, January 6, 2013

God's Tender Mercies
Last week in High Priests we where discussing the Tender Mercies of the Lord in our lives.  The things that at the time seem not that outstanding, actually ordinary, and certainly not a miracle.  But later in life as we look back we realize just how much the Lord blessed us with a tender mercy or miracle.  I would like to share with you just a couple of the Lord's tender mercies in my life.
While serving my mission in Pohnape I was blessed to stay in one area for almost my whole mission.  I had the opportunity to make life time friendship that have blessed my life.  I met a young man toward the end of my mission by the name of Steksin Diopulos.  Little did I know at the time the great friendship and love that I would develop for Steksin and his family.  Most of you children have been involved, and sometimes annoyed with these special people.  Perhaps you sometimes wonder why your Dad does the things that I do to help out these people.  I do not pretend to understand or know the relationships that we had in our pre-earth life.  But I believe that we did know certain people and developed special relationships with these people.  I believe that Steksin and I did know each other.
The next tender mercy was to meet and fall in love with my special companion.  Susan Inez Frandsen was a room mate with my sister Debbie at BYU when I was serving in Micronesia.  Susie was a dancer and quite the flirt, from what my sister Debbie tells me.  When I first met her she set my heart into quite the flutter.  We started dating and then Susie got very involved with the dance company at BYU and I did not get to see her that much, so figuring that she did not care that much for me,so I started dating other young ladies.  At the end of the semester I happened to cross paths with Susie and she asked if I would like to pick her up after her last final. At this time we had not dated for over a month and I had given up on Susie.  Had we not crossed paths that night, I believe that we would not be married today.  I picked her up and we talked and went to the park where we played on the swings.  Perhaps that is why most of my kids feel that a date to the playground swings is the most romantic place to be.  We dated through the summer and then in the fall after the Woman Conference we took a walk and ended up at the Provo Temple.  That night I asked this wonderful of God Daughters to marry me for time and all eternity.  I hope you all know of my love for her and the rich way she continues to bless my life.
We have been blessed with seven wonderful children.  The birth of all of you has been a tender mercy in my life.  One of  the things I will always remember is our trips together.  We took a trip to the Church history sites and the US history sites. While in Carthage, Il. we visited the Carthage jail.  We all felt the spirit as it testified to us about the truth that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and that he sealed his life for Jesus Christ.  While on the way back from Carthage to Nauvoo I felt that I needed to testify to my children.  I do not know if any of you remember that ride but it is one of the special tender mercies that came into my life as I testified to you.  This is one of those special witnesses that I was given to know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ upon the earth, and I dare not deny that witness.

To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment